Product Management Consulting
What is a Product?
A Product is not the end goal for users rather, it’s a means to do certain activities in real life to fulfill their needs. A Valuable Product is one that helps the end users do those activities easily and willingly. Every Product intends to change the behavior of the end user in one or the other way.
What is Product Discovery?
The Product requirements just don’t come from end users. Moreover, the end user can only help you understand their problems in current way of doing things. One needs to observe what they do, listen to their problems, empathize with them and identify their needs. The buyers and sponsors of the product, of course want more returns on investment. A development team can make use of their technical skills to solve the user problems efficiently. The Product Discovery process is working with all these people to uncover Product Features and the value that they bring. This framework helps in identifying the end user’s behaviors to be changed to support vision and Product Features to support the change.
Who is a Product Manager?
- A product manager is someone who has a responsibility to customers (current and future) to release a product that meets and exceeds their needs – even if they are not fully aware of their needs.
- Financial responsibility to the company that the product will meet revenue and margin goals.
- Responsibility to my development team to define a feature set that, if they can deliver it, will meet the first two objectives
What is leanGears?
leanGears is a framework for Product Management. leanGears provides five step approach for discovering Product requirements from Product Vision. It provides a set of tools to
- Develop Product Vision from problem statement
- Identify end users and translate vision into Product features based on activities that users need to perform to achieve Product Vision
- Conduct user interviews, develop personas, user journey, identify pain points and develop user stories
- Prioritize requirements based on user needs, Split User stories, Identify MVP, develop product roadmap
- Identify Business Value, Size requirements, prioritize based on ROI, add details, develop wireframes, validate solution
Product Discovery Cycle:
|Product Envisioning||Align all the stakeholders to a common goal||PO and Stakeholders||Problem/Need Statement||Vision Statement||Product Box, Elevator Pitch, News Paper Ad, TV ad etc.|
|Collaborative (Product) Chartering||Identify the ecosystem for the product to be successful||PO and Stakeholders||Vision Statement||High Level Deliverables||Impact Mapping, Product Canvas|
|User Research||Validate the assumptions about user needs||PO and End Users||Selected Actors and Deliverables from Impact Map||User Stories||User Experience Mapping, Interviews, Persona Building|
|User Story Mapping||Map User needs to product features and prioritize the needs||PO, Stakeholders and Domain Experts||User Stories||Product Roadmap based on User Needs||Kano Model, MUSCOW, Story Splitting technique, User Story Map etc.|
|Story Pampering||Add details and keep the Product Backlog Ready for Development||PO, Stakeholders and Development Team||Product Backlog||Prioritized Product Backlog ready for Development||Wireframes, Planning Poker, Classes of Service, Business Value Estimation Game, Voting etc.|
leanGears – Consulting
Leanpitch offers the Product Management consulting to help Product Owners, Product Managers and Business Analysts to adopt leanGears Framework.
The consulting includes 4 levels:
|Training||3 Days||Train the team on leanGears framework|
|Immersion||3-6 Delivery Cycles (Sprints or Short releases)||Work as part of the team to observe and handhold the team in adopting framework and customize as needed.|
|Guidance||2-3 Delivery Cycles||Review the work done by the team and provide feedback [1 day in Sprint]|
|Support||As needed||Help the team in solving difficulties adopting the framework as and when needed.|