One cannot work on Agile, if he/she does not have a right mindset. Mindset is about the thoughts which provoke in our mind, leads to action and defines our characteristics.
Do we have right mindset in our personal or professional life?
Do we need to bring some changes to improvise further?
Attitude plays an important role. Wrong attitude is a real disability.
A little girl always walks down from her school to home. One day, the weather was not promising. At the time of her return, thunderstorm and lightning strike. Her mother was worried, that her daughter might be frightened .She drove her car on the same route to get her. What she saw, whenever thunderstorm and lightning strike. A little girl stops, look up and smile.
Mom: “Why are you stopping?”
Little girl: “Mom, God is busy in taking my pictures, I am trying to look pretty”
This is ATTITUDE!!!
We all need to bring change but should not stop at bringing change, it’s a temporary shift. For eg: Put a glass of water in refrigerator, it will become ice after some time. Keep it again outside refrigerator, it will gain its original form.
We need to transform ourselves, A Permanent shift. For eg: A caterpillar decides to turns out to be beautiful butterfly, process called metamorphosis.
But do all caterpillars turns to butterfly, No, lot more die in the middle. Like, we humans try to transform ourselves but give up in the middle or at the verge of completion but those who don’t, live their lives to the fullest.
Remember, in the path of excellence if you have ego and anger at your end, you do not need an opponent. It’s high time to move from “can-do-attitude” to “I am doing reality”. Don’t doubt yourself, doubt create mountains. Have faith, faith tunnels through those mountains. Work with all teammates to inculcate right culture in the team. We need people around us to develop ourselves. There is famous saying by, Pastor Martin Niemoller (He was a German and Anti-Nazi):
“First they came for Jew, I did not speak as I was not a Jew, then they came for Trade Unionist, I did not speak as I was not a Trade Unionist, then they came for Communist, I did not speak out as I was not a Communist, then they came for Catholic, I did not speak as I was not a Protestant, then they came for me and no one left to save me”.
It’s always team wins or team fails, not individual. Can Indian team win a match if we have 11 Sachin Tendulkar in a team? No, we need different competencies to make it high performing team.
When I hear all these, I get motivated. Motivation is good if we do something with it otherwise that energy will disappear. It’s like a helium balloon, you set it free, and it will reach to its destination. If you keep it in room, it will deflate and will crumple to the floor. When we get motivated, we get excited and uncomfortable at the same time. We become more cautious and don’t take actions. Voice of inactions turns to voice of Excuse. There are 4 Voice of Excuses.
1. If you do that, you could loose everything. Protect what you have.
My take: We need to take calculated risk. If you will not RISK it, how you will get the BISCUIT?
There was a workshop in some part of the country. After the workshop, one of the attendee went to speaker and said “Sir, I really wanted to be like you”.
Speaker: “What’s stopping you”.
Attendee: “Sir, I have a really well paid job, beautiful wife and a house. If I would do that, I would be bankrupt, my wife would have divorced me, I would be on road. I have nothing to live for”. How mind plays game with you, standing at the same position, moving from DREAMS to DESPAIR.
2. If success was that simple, everyone would be doing it.
My Ask: How do we define success? For me it’s, keeping my family happy, bringing smile on my team members by bringing ease in their life, playing a role of servant-leader. Define your success definition and live every moment.
3. You need more information, more data, and more knowledge before you agree to make your first move.
My take: We learned, one should never be content with the level of learning and improvement in one’s life. Enjoy the journey.
4. You do not know what you want to do or where you want to be
My Ask: When I started my career, I did not know , I will be Scrum Master one day. Keep learning and keep growing is the intent.
When I go through all these, I move from:
BEING SUCCESSFUL, BY BEING YOU
Twenty years from now, you will not be disappointed by the things you did but by the things you didn’t do. So, throw off the bowlines, sail from safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sail.
EXPLORE – DREAM – DISCOVER
Do it with no Plan B. If you have Plan B, it means you do not want your Plan A to be successful. Be flexible with your actions but inflexible with results. Work on your MPC daily. MPC stands for “Marginal Propensity to Consume”, it means how much energy and effort you will put to achieve your target/goal.
You are what you choose to be.
As yourself: Are you in the ownership of your life?
If not you, then WHO?
Let’s talk about Agile. By definition:
People collaborating together to solve a problem or to achieve a goal with high quality at a sustainable pace.
It’s a philosophy which talks about People, Collaboration, Values. If we work on all the three components, chances of being successful are 100%. It talks about Purpose not procedure. Agile talks about time boxing, where we have fixed time & sprint/iteration/cadence where we measure the work done under it.
It’s not what just started decade ago, In Mahabharata as well, People fought from sunrise to sunset and did the review and retrospective at the night on how can they plan better strategy to win the fight, what are the improvement areas etc.
PDCA cycle also serves the same purpose except it’s not time boxed.
Best example of Agility is Mumbai Dabbawala. They are Six Sigma, which says about 3.4 DPMO, 3.4defects per million opportunities. The dabbawala delivers an astonishing 2 lakhs meals across city, everyday. Harvard Business School made the dabbawala the subject of case study in 2010. They were also invited to address TEDx conference in 2011.
Now, again they are in news for another noble cause of “Share My Dabba” where they work with charity called “Happy life welfare Society”. A small sticker is making a difference. Have a look… Click Here
Agile manifesto says:
Individuals and Interactions over Processes and Tools
Working Software over Comprehensive documentation
Customer collaboration over Contract Negotiation
Responding to change over following a plan
Though, we respect the things on the right, we value the things on the left more.
There are 12 Agile Principle, which talks about :
- Our highest priority is to satisfy the customer through early and continuous delivery of valuable software.
- Welcome changing requirements, even late in development. Agile processes harness change for the customer’s competitive advantage.
- Deliver working software frequently, from a couple of weeks to a couple of months, with a preference to the shorter timescale.
- Business people and developers must work together daily throughout the project.
- Build projects around motivated individuals. Give them the environment and support they need, and trust them to get the job done.
- The most efficient and effective method of conveying information to and within a development team is face-to-face conversation.
- Working software is the primary measure of progress.
- Agile processes promote sustainable development. The sponsors, developers, and users should be able to maintain a constant pace indefinitely.
- Continuous attention to technical excellence and good design enhances agility.
- Simplicity–the art of maximizing the amount of work not done–is essential.
- The best architectures, requirements, and designs emerge from self-organizing teams.
- At regular intervals, the team reflects on how to become more effective, then tunes and adjusts its behaviour accordingly.
- Knowledge gained from Satisha Sir.
- Book – Naked Coach by David Taylor.
- Blogs, videos and meetups around the city.